Thursday, March 23, 2006

Maybe I've been listening to a bit too much Jeff Buckley and Radiohead recently

Perhaps I'm not really in the best frame of mind to be writing a blog at the moment, but it's about time I started speaking up again. I've been quiet for too long ;-)

Yesterday I read about a girl in Luton who lost her battle in the House of Lords for being able to wear the jilbaab (a loose flowing robe-like dress) to school. I have my own personal opinions on the issue, but my blog isn't about that exactly.

To be quite honest, as a hijaabi myself I am completely fed up with the constant media attention which the Islamic dress has been receiving. Don't get me wrong; off course anyone who restricts a person from being able to practice their faith is utter scum, whether it be restricting the way they dress, or whatever. What I, as a Muslim am genuinely concerned about is how Islam is being reduced to a mere physical representation in everyones eyes. The essence of the faith itself is being lost, while the more outward aspects are being emphasised more than necessary.

In fact, while we're on the subject, let me also draw your attention to other tools adopted by the media and politicians in order to distract the audience from asking more in depth questions about Islam, or any other religion for that matter. Time-and-time-again there are news reports where it might be that a Muslim has been involved in a crime, although the fact that they are a Muslim has no connection with their actions or the crime. However, the media still draws the audiences' attention to that little bit of information- that they are a Muslim... why? Anyway, I am currently waiting for the day when the news does not mention the words "Muslim" and "terrorist." Seriously, tell me when that day comes. The fear tactic is a fantastic way in which to stop us lot from asking the "wrong questions." The more uneducated and violent the Muslim community looks, the less anyone wants to know them.

So to sum up: the question of the veil, the Islamic stance on the treatment of women and so forth have all been answered by Muslims and all one has to do is make use of the facilities available to them to find out more. It's time now to start asking the deeper questions; For the longer we focus on the more physical aspects, the further away we get from the more deep-rooted elements of the faith. The further we drift from the truth. "What IS the truth?" I hear you ask. Well to answer that question, I suggest you go and find out...

No comments: