Saturday, February 25, 2006

A delayed post

This post was never published... until now:

I've just started researching for my dissertation which I'm planning to be a tribute to Islam's encouraging attitude when it comes to ones persuit of knowledge.

When I was little my dad used to say to me that he didn't care if I grew up and decided to become a janitor, all he wanted was for me to educate myself as much as possible. My knowledge would be my weapon of defence against the cruelties of the world.

By knowledge I don't mean the ability to re-iterate what I've read in a textbook, but rather to achieve that sense of true learning, of true satisfaction. Once upon a time I used to experience this in bucket fulls. Unfortunately now even at university level I'm not finding that same satisfaction that I used to. Every once in a while I need that little kick of motivation. When I was younger it was what my dad, mum and brother used to teach me. Today it's this:

"One hour of teaching is better than a night of praying"- Prophet Muhammad (SAW)

And for me to be able to teach, I must first learn.

No comments: