Saturday, April 14, 2007

Three Years Later

These past three years and in particular the last twelve months have been, for want of a better word, weird. Every aspect of my life, without exaggeration, has transformed to such a state that it is almost unrecognisable to the way it was merely three years ago. And most unexpectedly, I've changed. My way of thinking and the way I perceive this world has adapted according to the experiences I, and those around me, have gone through. Whether this is for the better, I guess time will tell.

It's been three years since I left my home to study at university, and despite the frequent visits back, most of my time was spent staying at my university accommodation. In the meantime, my family and I have undergone different experiences. With the prospect of moving back home after three years, I need to realise that our different experiences will result in differing ideas of the world. Now I have two options here: Either let the differences cause divisions; or understand the fact that our ideas stem from different life experiences, and embrace them.

In my second year of university I got highly involved with one particular society on campus. This society was influenced greatly by a certain type, or class of people. As the outsider, it was difficult to blend in with these people, who in essence I shared a similar identity with, but had decided to react to it in a different way. At the time, I pretty much tried my best, and eventually gave up and left the society. What is most frustrating in retrospect is that neither they nor I were able to understand that our differing opinions stemmed from different life experiences. If we had realised this at the time, we could have worked very well together. Or at the least, I could have explained my stance on certain issues with more clarity.

Anywho, that's where my life stands right now, I'm preparing myself to move home, and to finally finish my degree Insha'Allah (If God Wills.) As for how much I've changed, let's see if that reflects in my style of writing as well...

Oh yes, and my dissertation, which Alhamdulillah (thanks be to God,) has been handed in, will be posted about soon. My loyal subject (my brother,) is reading through it at the moment and until or unless he gives it the thumbs-up, I don't want to paste extracts of it on her just yet. More on that in the coming weeks Insha'Allah (if God Wills.)

No comments: