Wednesday, September 27, 2006

When Hunger Means Nothing

I don't know why I didn't publish this post after I'd written it... Oh well, here it is:

For some reason I've been encountering a lot of conspiracy theories about the world of late. Most of the time I don't pay attention because the fact is that only a select number of people know the truth about the world, and my only concern should be to protest for that truth and not to support any theories, because that's just what they are: THEORIES.


However, I couldn't help but notice one aspect that ran true throughout many of the theories: The hunger factor. Get enough people hungry and they'll be willing to do just about anything for a little bit of food. To demonstrate, I came across this quote that sent shivers down my spine:

"Hunger is sharper than the sword."
- The Honest Man's Fortune (act II, sc. 2, l. 1,) Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher

There's just one little element which tends to be highly underestimated: Will power.

With the month of Ramadhan in full swing, the majority of Muslims out there are probably feeling the weight of their bodies and the lightness of their souls. You see, on the surface, fasting does lead to a great deal of hunger and thirst, but it's nothing compared to the will power we develop from it. It takes only a matter of hours and body experiences such cravings that you'd think it hadn't had food for days! Whenever I see food and water my body pulls me down, however my soul keeps me up. If it were up to my body, I would never have experienced such hunger in the first place. So why don't I give in? Because my will won't let me. I don't want to disappoint the God who has asked me to fast for Him, ever increasing my determination to keep on going.

With only four or five days of Ramadhan down, I've already learnt a lot. Firstly the power of my soul outweighs the power of my body; and secondly that all those petty things that seem oh so important on a full stomach just don't seem so important anymore...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Unber,
What an inspirational read! I've never actually fasted for my faith before, but I can imagine that, because you don't have to worry about what to eat/drink, it enables you to spend more time thinking about more important things - like God?!
Thanks for your insightful thoughts!
Hope you're well,
love P xxx